[ Login | Register ]

The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo   (Read 21747 times)
Old Post September 22, 2006, 11:16:52 am
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

Old Post September 30, 2006, 11:18:33 am
Blahian *

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
I recall Shining Force being a STRATEGY rpg. Using "strategy" in the title does not cut it, Sega. At least have the decency to drop the "strategy" in the title. Sheesh. And above all, rewritten storyline. That's like throwing away decades of canon, and a hardcore fanbase which you will be permanent alienating (you already aliented them by failing to translate scenario 1 and 2).

Well done, Sega! Prostitute yourself to the mainstream. You could also get more sales if you change your new villain name to Sepiroth and have nice polygonal boobs for your heroine.

Abstract thoughts and unintelligible emotions

Old Post October 05, 2006, 03:24:19 am
Blahian *

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
I just don't get why Sega wouldn't create another shining force game that is actually like the previous shinging force games. Are people who enjoy turn based strategical rpgs such a small minority?  I'd love a shining force IV to come out on the Wii. Or even the DS. Hmm.. actually shining force could have a lot of possibilities on the DS when you think about it. A second screen for the map.. drawing where you want units to move.. etc.

Old Post October 17, 2006, 11:26:53 am
Administrator Shining Spammer *

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
When I first starting playing Shining Force I, of course, I liked it - I liked pretty much all the games we got.  Except the RPG's.  Shining isn't exactly an RPG, but it was the only good thing close enough at that time, in my(10 year old) opinion.

There was one thing I remember clearly.  When playing the game in battle sequences at first - you hit attack, and choose the baddie you wanna blast or slice or whack - then it would go to the attack screen.

A beautiful and even animated attack screen showing more details about what occurs during the attack.  I would button bash during this screen for at least.. oh, the first whole chapter of the game.
It seemed intuitive to me that there should be something there, something to do to increase your chances of getting a hit - or even on defense, of evading.
My brother and I tried all sorts of different things to see if we could change the outcome of attacks.  Of course, eventually after playing enough we logically worked out it was just having no effect.

If you had have given me the game at my age, I guess I would feel the same thing at first.  Given the way I analyse things I would surely try to spice it up, I know at the time of first playing SHF1 I would have added.. i dunno, press the button really really fast and it increases your chances or something.
Nowadays I think differently and the battle engine is fine.  But if I was playing it again for the first time.. i would have the opinion that some other player input was needed, even perhaps combinations of buttons being pressed during attack sequences effecting what is going on - perhaps something like those musical dance games where you have to press the right keys depending on what shows up.

This would(in my current view) ruin the original, but I'm thinking that perhaps this sort of thought process is what happens with Sega.

Battles are just too easy, too long, and too "boring" in the standard setting.  This is how battles in the chronotrigger/final fantasy form were born and took over.
They always want to develop the game engine further, and further.

I think Peter is making a quality game, something that is above and beyond a "fan" game, something we want, and as we all know, solo developers need all the support they can get.
All of us in our projects need support and need to get off our butts and make sure the others keep interested.  Why?  I feel the answer to the why is in the fact that our love for the genre has a real world value.

For some reason, big game development companies _have_ crossed off "turn based strategy" from their list, and it's their own loss.

At some point, the inhouse sega advocate for the shining style of game must have gotten fed up with arguing everyone and turned sheep.

bah to him.

~Elvenfyre

Old Post November 23, 2006, 04:34:42 pm
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
I have a feeling that turns-based gameplay will eventually make a small comeback, even if it's only on the handheld platforms. The main problem with turns-based combat as that it's hard to make it look spectacular (though SF3 is an excellent example of how to make it look great). Companies want to wow players with stunning graphics, and final fantasy style battles make it much easier to do that.

Old Post December 20, 2006, 06:20:27 pm
Blahian *

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
Reading that article makes me one unhappy Peegai. Sad

I was expecting a comeback of the Innovators & Vandals saga, not this anime, real-time bullshit.

Old Post December 24, 2006, 09:23:40 am
Shining Forever *

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
Quote from: "peegai"

I was expecting a comeback of the Innovators & Vandals saga, not this anime, real-time bullshit.

You sure are a few years late, it went to shit back after SF3.

SC: dead again, dun dun dun.

Old Post December 24, 2006, 06:04:35 pm
Blahian *

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
Quote from: "acebloke"
Quote from: "peegai"

You sure are a few years late, it went to shit back after SF3.

I was in a coma. :p

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: