[ Login | Register ]

The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Legends of Salamanca - My new shining inspired game   (Read 137 times)
New Post August 05, 2022, 01:22:30 pm
Max
Blahian *

Legends of Salamanca - My new shining inspired game
Great site by the way, I love shining force its one of my all time favourite games. I've always wanted to make my own shining force style game... finaly now I am!

Its in the very early prototype stage. I thought I would create a game that people could play in their browser without downloading anything, that might increase the likelihood that people give it a go! I am using the HTML 5 Canvas element so its all in Javascript. The source is actually in Typescript but then its transpiled into a Javscript bundle.

I wanted the game mechanics to be instantly recognisable as a homage to Shining Force 1 and 2, but I want to put my own elements into it as well - so there might be something a bit different comming.

I am just using free assets I found on itch and elsewhere at the moment, but I may want to pair up with an artist at somepoint if I see anyone's artwork that I think would be good for the game!

I also have an idea for a story for the RPG which I'm keeping secret at the moment!

Please bare in mind this is a very early prototype, but what I have so far is available to try on itch at https://salamanca.itch.io/legends-of-salamanca

I look forward to updating with further updates on the game and also to getting some comments and feedback.

I have 2 directions for where this game can go, I would like to have a 2 player over the internet mode, and also a story mode where you play on your own.

Look forwards to sharing and getting involved in this community

So far I have implemented

movement
attack
very simple items usage implementation
different attack ranges

Whats on the agenda

ability to use magic
mechanism for leveling up and gaining experience

at some point I'm really going to need some better animations and graphics!!!

Attachments

* 2022-08-05_12h19_43-min.png (49.41 KB, 383x377 - viewed 19 times.)

New Post August 10, 2022, 01:54:28 pm
Max
Blahian *

Re: Legends of Salamanca - My new shining inspired game
version 0.1.1 - I've decided to  start versioning!

Implemented different attack ranges

sword like : can attack above, below and to the side
arrow like : can attack 2 spaces ahead, but no directly adjacent
spear like : can attack with a range of 1 or 2 spaces
I've also implemented a cursor to select multiple targets akin to aura or blaze 2 from Shining force

I've implemented a target eligibility criteria, so for instance a weapon, item or magic spell may be used on 'own team', 'other team' or 'any'

I have also implemented a rudimentary error message for if you try and use a weapon,item or spell and there's no eligible targets in range

Attachments

* 2022-08-10_13h47_32.png (9.92 KB, 380x380 - viewed 16 times.)

New Post August 10, 2022, 02:45:54 pm
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

Nice screenshots - this looks like it's coming along well and it definitely has a Shining Force feel to it!

Am I okay to post about this project on the homepage?

New Post August 10, 2022, 08:26:39 pm
Max
Blahian *

Thanks Ty!

Hopefully I can keep the pace of development up at this speed!

Wow that would be awesome if you could post about it on the homepage! Cheesy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: