[ Login | Register ]

The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Proper advice needed   (Read 15805 times)
Old Post February 14, 2007, 12:24:36 am
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

Proper advice needed
Before Christmas I got a job at Gamestation, which I love and adore. It's only part-time but it's flexible hours, and over Christmas I was working anywhere up to 35 hours a week.

Now the busy period has gone my hours have dropped down - I'm working about 24 hours between now and the end of the month. I'm not sure how much more I'll get next month.

I would hate, genuinely hate to leave my job because I absolutely adore working there. It's made me very happy, which I understand is a rare thing for a job to do, but the hours just aren't enough to sustain myself (this message is brought to you by HSBC Online Banking: for when you absolutely, positively have to realise the awful truth). I just signed a new contract because they didn't want to lose me, so I'd feel doubly bad if I quit.

Anyway, what I want to know is whether you think I should start to apply for new jobs. I move out in four months, and I have quite a bit of rent, bills and food to pay before then, but I wouldn't imagine many employers would take me on for that period of time - what would be the point?

Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Old Post February 14, 2007, 02:33:15 am
Administrator Shining Spammer *

Re: Proper advice needed
It could be the real life stakes bet on finishing that book you need.

Anyway, listen to your heart.

~Elvenfyre

Old Post February 14, 2007, 06:44:48 pm
Shining Godzilla *

Depending on the hours maybe you could arrange to work two jobs? Work the gamestore on weekends and snag a second job for weekdays? (not sure if you're still in college though so this might not matter)

Honestly unless you absolutely HAVE to stick with the job you like. Because the hours should pick up eventually and when you're working a shit job you're going to be slapping yourself.

DDDDD    EEEEE  RRRRR     PPPPP   !!!
D        D   E          R      R     P       P  !!!
D        D   EEEE    RRRRR     PPPPP   !!!
D        D   E          R    R       P
DDDDD    EEEEE  R      R     P            !!!

Old Post February 14, 2007, 06:46:49 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

Still in college? I finished a postgraduate course last June! Tongue

Good advice though, both of you. I took it and today went to Sainsbury's to get an application form. It's only part-time as I'm obviously hoping I can work both jobs, which would be the ideal situation really. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old Post February 14, 2007, 07:21:30 pm
Shining Mullet *

You could inquire about your hours and explain to them your situation. I understand that sometimes schedualing is a difficult matter with employers but if they like you so much surely they wont force you to stay in a position where you cant make ends meet!

The second job is a great idea too Smiley

Newts works hard for the money! so hard for it honey.

Old Post March 06, 2007, 06:37:00 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

Good things come to those who wait - hopefully in the next few weeks I'm getting bumped up to 30 hours a week Cheesy This means more money for games. Hoorah!

Old Post March 16, 2007, 03:52:15 pm
Blahian *

Glad to hear things worked out! Any games you've played lately that you can recommend? Have you tried 'Wario Ware'?

Old Post March 16, 2007, 04:06:26 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

Chili Con Carnage on PSP is good - stupid but accessible fun. I liked it and it's not even my kind of game.

Cooking Mama on DS is genius. I'd say similar things - daft but fun - so I guess this shows where Sony and Nintendo differ.

Another Code (Trace Memory there, I think) is interesting, but I've not played it enough to say whether it's worth getting or not.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All has just come out today over here and I can't wait to play it. I adored the first one and I just hope this one is as well-written and entertaining.

Sonic and the Secret Rings on Wii is absolutely fantastic. I'd say it's my favourite Wii game by far - I've clocked up over twenty hours on it, and I reckon I'll probably play it almost as much as Zelda. It's really good.

I got WarioWare when it came out and played it for a few days, but the multiplayer modes aren't as good as the Gamecube one, which I believe is mainly down to having to pass the controller around. On the Gamecube there was an amazing mode called Wobbly Bobbly, where four players played simultaneously and had to balance on top of a stack of turtles between minigames. It was absolutely genius, but sadly the Wii version lacks one game of a similar standard. The minigames themselves are outstanding though, and there's a really cute two-player friendship game where you have to jump over holes in the road. It's amazing.

Phew.

Old Post March 16, 2007, 10:24:06 pm
Blahian *

Sounds like I need to get a DS!

New Post March 17, 2007, 06:31:56 am
Shining Godzilla *

I got WarioWare when it came out and played it for a few days, but the multiplayer modes aren't as good as the Gamecube one, which I believe is mainly down to having to pass the controller around. On the Gamecube there was an amazing mode called Wobbly Bobbly, where four players played simultaneously and had to balance on top of a stack of turtles between minigames. It was absolutely genius, but sadly the Wii version lacks one game of a similar standard. The minigames themselves are outstanding though, and there's a really cute two-player friendship game where you have to jump over holes in the road. It's amazing.

Phew.

haha some of the best fun you can have is playing the one where the player must complete the mini game and do something and are judged by clapping, while drunk.

DDDDD    EEEEE  RRRRR     PPPPP   !!!
D        D   E          R      R     P       P  !!!
D        D   EEEE    RRRRR     PPPPP   !!!
D        D   E          R    R       P
DDDDD    EEEEE  R      R     P            !!!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: