[ Login | Register ]

The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Why do we lie to ourselves?   (Read 7445 times)
Old Post October 11, 2006, 11:40:09 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

Why do we lie to ourselves?
I was thinking about this the other day. I can understand why we lie to each other, though it's not very nice. I'm getting better at telling the truth though... or am I?

Anyway, what I want to know is, why do you think we lie to ourselves? Here's an example:

I have some work I need to do. I tell myself I'll start after checking my email, even though I know if I check my email I won't get started with my work until I've accessed all my accounts, downloaded some podcasts, checked my RSS feeds and so on. Why do I pretend to myself I'll get straight on with work? Even though I know I would much rather finish my work, I still tell myself I'll pick up on it in a minute.

Here's another:

I can't work with music on, but I can work in silence. So why do I put my speakers or headphones on when there's some work I need to do? I know full well I don't work well with music on. Why do I do this?

I'm sure these problems aren't limited to myself. What lies do you tell yourself? Do you think you could stop? If you did stop lying to yourself, what do you think it would do for your productivity and happiness?

Old Post October 12, 2006, 05:46:04 am
Job
Shining Light *

I guess productivity really becomes an issue and once you reach a certain age, i've just been noticing this. I've never really cared much about it but i have much less time than i used to. Two days ago i was at a Microsoft workshop on Office Sharepoint Server 2007/InfoPath and at the end there was a drawing of 8 prizes for those involved. My name came up first and i had the choice of any of the prizes which included stuff like xbox games, pc games (age of empires III i recall), a book "how to take back your life", InfoPath 2003, etc.

I would love to play Age of Empires III but i know how much time it would take away from me so i decided on InfoPath 2003, which i already had.

Even though i like to think i have control over what i do at any time, the truth is i can make a good argument in favor of something i shouldn't be doing, so the best way is to avoid the circumstances where you'll be tempted into doing something that will harm your productivity in the first place.

Old Post October 15, 2006, 01:18:53 pm
Administrator Shining Spammer *

I lie to myself constantly(in that way you do to get yourself to do things, or not do things), and barely ever lie to others(tricks are fun though!).  Just my special way of not taking myself too seriously I guess.  

I guess most of the time it isn't really lying, just a conflict of desires from past, present and future.  

The truth hurts, life is hard.
Chew well.

~Elvenfyre

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: