[ Login | Register ]

The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Project Candlelight   (Read 113131 times)
Old Post August 28, 2005, 05:24:59 am
Shining Dude *

Project Candlelight
I have good news and bad news.

The bad news. my timeframe has past, and I once again will have little time for Proj. Candlelight. I am entering a school, and I will have to pass every single class.

The good news: now that I'm at home, I can do something.

ave the Kyantol

Old Post October 26, 2005, 03:22:45 am
Shining Dude *

Project Candlelight
As I said befoer, now that I'm home, I can do something and - despite my silence for a while - I have been. Research. Research, a bit of learning, and a bit off refreshing on an old language - and in a different sense, a new language. The results: definitions. I've made some decisions that probibly should have been made already.

The programming language: BASIC

Don't be fooled. I don't meen Microsoft QuickBASIC or any of that old outdated stuff. I mean FreeBASIC. It's a relatively new language that practically every programmer knows already. check out freebasic.net for more information.
The reasons why I chose this language Follows:
(A) almost every programmer has had experiance in BASIC
(B) It's cross-platform so I can bring it all over to Windows, Linux, Mac, and appearantly even the XBOX.
(C) it has something for everything; FMOD BASS and OpenAL for audio, GTK2+ for video (With DirectX for all of the things windows refuses to do), Allegro to do various game things, OpenGL for 2D and 3D effects, and even XML for various XML-related utilities
(D) Although smaller then other languages, it has some community to help us Debug.
(E) BASIC structure makes for easy programming.

We're probibly going to use SCREEN 18 or 19.

Also, Ive decided to scrap the 3D prerendering idea. It looks very tacky in low resolutions. I will, however, use it for any FMVs I need, which may just be the intro video.

If you don't believe how good my choices are, go check out Gryffin's Tale (please take note that it's a victom of bad programming, but at least it looks good) at http://syn9.thingie.net/?table=griffonlegend

P.S., I don't suppose you know BASIC, devlyn?

ave the Kyantol

Old Post October 26, 2005, 01:38:29 pm
Administrator Shining Spammer *

Project Candlelight
awesome akir, can't wait to hear about your progress Smiley

~Elvenfyre

Old Post October 27, 2005, 03:57:47 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

Project Candlelight
I know someone who knows BASIC.

Good luck - I hope to see some progress soon

Old Post November 13, 2005, 09:08:18 pm
Shining Dude *

Project Candlelight
good luck with seeing progress soon:

SDL=Hell
(GTK2+)=Confusion, and then eventually death.

seriously. There is some definite problems with the implimentation of these libraries!

I'll tell you when I'm out of SDL Hell.

ave the Kyantol

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: