[ Login | Register ]

The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????   (Read 28883 times)
Old Post April 15, 2004, 04:51:01 pm
Linker
Guest Logged

Old Post April 15, 2004, 11:10:53 pm
Shining Something *

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
it's when you score three goals in football

o yo yo...

Old Post April 15, 2004, 11:13:20 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

You sure ask a lot of questions Tongue

And a fiver to the person who can tell me why it's called a hat trick [I already know Tongue]

Old Post April 15, 2004, 11:18:42 pm
Shining Something *

Hat trick comes from cricket . A cricket bowler who got rid of three batsmen on three balls in a row would have a new hat bought for him by his teammates.

..you'v got my address for my Fiver! Cheesy

o yo yo...

Old Post April 15, 2004, 11:19:33 pm
bEn
Shining Light *

Thank god for wikipedia:
Hat Trick
Hat Trick is a term from cricket and means three wickets taken on successive balls bowled by a given bowler. They need not be in the same over. Showing keen understanding of various principles, wickets on four consecutive balls is called a double hat trick. It originated in 1858 when a cricket player took three wickets with consecutive balls and was given a new hat by his club as a reward.

The term has been usurped into other contexts. If someone scores three goals in a soccer game they are said to have scored a hat trick, even if there were intervening goals scored by other plays.

In North America, "hat trick" is usually associated with hockey (ice hockey in particular); though it is often used in soccer as well. (Hat tricks in hockey are far more common). In the context of hockey, any combination of goals/assists (an assist is a play which leads directly to a goal) which adds up to three is considered a hat trick. No need for them to be consecutive, or scored against the same goalkeeper.

In ice hockey, assists don't count -- a single player must score three goals in a game. If the player scores three consecutive goals, with no player on either team scoring an intervening goal between his first and third goal, it is called a "natural hat trick". It is traditional for the fans to throw their hats out on the ice when a player scores a hat trick.

Maybe one should add that it is at least discussable if hattrick just means a player scores 3 goals. In Germany the official way of defining hattrick is that the 3 goals must be scored without intervening goals scored by other players (no matter which team they are in) and they must be scored in on half. Ok we have very few official hattricks.....

t's not like I really care

Old Post April 15, 2004, 11:20:30 pm
Shining Something *

haha... unlucky! i beat you Tongue

o yo yo...

Old Post April 15, 2004, 11:22:51 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

I was always told it was when someone scored three goals, the crowd passed a hat around and they each put some money in Tongue

Nick, I'll send you the fiver in exchange for some new Stateless stuff Wink

Old Post April 15, 2004, 11:24:51 pm
Shining Something *

hehe.. we havn't been recording much recently... its a quiet time of year uz of exams and stuff. We did a few tracks about a month ago, but our bass player hasn't got his ass into gear to burn them onto CD for me!

o yo yo...

Old Post April 15, 2004, 11:27:18 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

Honestly! Bass players, eh? It's always them or the drummers Tongue Thought of a new name yet?

Old Post April 15, 2004, 11:31:21 pm
Shining Something *

erm.... no! we'll get one when it becomes a problem... ie if a) we get massive b) the other stateless get massive.. probably the latter! ...but yeah, we do need a new name at some stage.

o yo yo...

Old Post April 15, 2004, 11:34:05 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

Call yourselves "The Shining Source" and spread the good word wherever you go Wink

Old Post April 16, 2004, 04:45:26 pm
Linker
Guest Logged
Thanks
I didn't know because I am not one to enjoy sports, I only watch the Super bowl because I get a lot of food too.

Old Post April 16, 2004, 07:53:53 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

New Post May 23, 2004, 02:20:15 pm
Shining Light *

Quote from: "Newts"
God bless America.

Greedy bastard, at least have him bless europe too

I can't remember what i was trying to forget

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: