[ Login | Register ]

The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Shining Force II Remake?   (Read 46057 times)
Old Post June 04, 2008, 07:01:02 pm
Blahian *

Shining Force II Remake?
Anyone ever thought about participating in a 3d (Shining Force III-style) remake of SFII?  Are there any such projects out there?

Old Post June 06, 2008, 02:11:54 am
Administrator Shining Spammer *

Re: Shining Force II Remake?
Not a remake, as far as I know.
You have to be careful getting too close to the fire with copyrights.

~Elvenfyre

Old Post June 09, 2008, 02:43:22 pm
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

I like the concept of an updated Shining Force 2, but as Elv said you have to be careful with copyrights. I've seen a few (unrelated) projects get shut down over the years, and the closer you get to completion the higher the risk, sadly.

Old Post September 12, 2008, 04:41:48 pm
Blahian *

I'm working on a remake of Shining Force II... not 3D though, but close to the original game. It's already possible to play a full battle from the original game. Maybe I should make a demo version available for download?

Old Post September 12, 2008, 08:52:17 pm
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

That would be extremely cool! If you need somewhere to host the download, let me know and I'll sort it out Smiley

Old Post September 13, 2008, 11:11:31 am
Blahian *

That would be extremely cool! If you need somewhere to host the download, let me know and I'll sort it out Smiley
That would be great. Currently it's 12 MB zip-packed (mostly due to the soundtrack being WAV, perhaps I'll find a way to transform it to a more compact format such as MP3).

Old Post September 13, 2008, 11:40:51 am
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

No problem. You can email it to me at ty@shiningsource.net and I'll put it online asap.

Old Post September 13, 2008, 07:14:27 pm
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

Old Post September 16, 2008, 11:40:55 am

I followed the instructions and downloaded the necessary packages, installed them and restarted.
I get a windows(xp) error telling me it has encountered a problem and the program doesn't start.  I'd be happy to privately send you the error report for windows if that would help you at all.
It's a pentium 4 HP laptop, running win xp sp2, without anything else running in the background.  It plays warcraft 3 quite happily.

~Elvenfyre

Old Post September 16, 2008, 05:55:10 pm
Blahian *

I followed the instructions and downloaded the necessary packages, installed them and restarted.
I get a windows(xp) error telling me it has encountered a problem and the program doesn't start. 
That sucks! Such an error message should only appear if the necessary packages have not been installed. I guess you've rebooted the computer after installing the packages. In that case it ought to be working. I don't know why it's not working.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem or is it working on everybody else's PCS?

I'd be happy to privately send you the error report for windows if that would help you at all.
Yes, please send it to me. Maybe it will tell me something.

Old Post September 16, 2008, 08:31:32 pm
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

I've had the same error on my PC (XP service pack 3). Installed both frameworks beforehand, but no joy. I'll try it on my Vista box later to see if that helps.

Old Post September 17, 2008, 05:16:54 pm
Blahian *

It works on the PC on which I've programmed it (Windows XP Service Pack 2). That was the only PC on which I tested it until today. Now I've tested it on a Vista box, and it doesn't work. I immediately get a window that reports that the "application doesn't work any longer". It seems to be a problem related either to the Microsoft XNA Game Studio 2.0 or to Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, with which I programmed the game, not to my code, because I tried another game programmed with these environments and it resulted in a crash, too. Well, I'll try to find out what causes the crash on this PC. If I find it and manage to fix it, maybe it will then work on your PCs, too. I've searched for the error code on the web and found something, now I'll try a debugging tool to find it more.

Old Post September 17, 2008, 05:41:24 pm
Blahian *

With the debugger I got to this:

LDR: LdrpWalkImportDescriptor() failed to probe C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Xna.Framework\2.0.0.0__6d5c3888ef60e27d\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll for its manifest, ntstatus 0xc0150002
(e70.f08): C++ EH exception - code e06d7363 (first chance)

So the problem definitely is with the XNA Framework and not with my code. The reason why it works on the PC I developed may be that on this PC there's the complete XNA SDK installed, while on the PC where it doesn't work only the runtime is installed. I'll try what installing the SDK on the problem PC will result in.

Old Post September 17, 2008, 07:51:02 pm
Blahian *

Yes, it works on this PC if the whole XNA Game Studio 2.0 is installed.

So, the solution is:
1. Download and install Visual Studio C# 2008 Express Edition: http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/#webInstall
2. Download and install XNA Game Studio 2.0: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=df80d533-ba87-40b4-abe2-1ef12ea506b7&displaylang=en

It's a big download, so I'm not satisfied with this solution. One can't demand from every gamer to download a full programming language and a framework. Therefore I've asked on the Microsoft XNA forum if anybody knows a better solution.

It's Microsoft's fault: Their Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 2.0 is buggy. :-( I wonder why apparently nobody else has yet had this problem and this hasn't been fixed yet?

Old Post September 18, 2008, 10:25:01 am

Well I installed it on my main computer just now and it worked without any additions.
When I ran the dotnet thing this time was different from what occurred on my laptop though, as my main pc already had a full dotnet thing on it.

So I'll try the updates on my laptop when I get the chance to try to work out the minimum download.
PS: That battle,... oh that battle.  I think I played that battle 50 times trying to level up Kiwi.  Smiley

Great work though.  Felt you could implement the quit function though!
Didn't get a chance to really test it out, but will do on my laptop.

~Elvenfyre

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: