[ Login | Register ]

The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Shining Game update   (Read 19254 times)
Old Post September 25, 2008, 09:07:20 am
Blahian *

Shining Game update
*Was not sure where to post this, so I did it here. ^^ (Please excuse typos IT IS LATE!!!!)

Well, my team so far has worked on a design for our game and the story is still being fleshed out. The music portion is getting there ahead of schedule (due to my sound engineering skills and my composition skills) we have already designed music suited for the game.

"Story basis" - We have worked on a story so far, but doing it in an unusual way. I am writing the story, music, and voice over/sounds. So far for the story I have been writing in it book form with a guideline of what happens in the story scenario wise and battle movement wise. In other words, the story piece for piece as far as the dramatics is going slow due to its detail, but the battle scenarios are moving briskly. ^^

Character creation is going smoothly to the make of character designs already being pumped out.
Zieg (Main C) - SDMN (Egress), SWMR (Sword Master [same as SDMN but can use stronger swords not available to SDMN]) (Egress), HERO (HERO can use enchanted Swords that are exclusive to the HERO/DCPN class) (Egress, Bolt 4), DCPN (Divine Champion [keep in mind, low mp count]) (Egress, Bolt 4, Heal 2, Aura 1)

Nike - MAGE (Fire, Ice, Muddle, Paralize), WIZD (Fire 4, Ice 4, Bolt 4, Desoul), BTMG (BattleMage) (Fire 3, Ice 3, Bolt 2 [offense/defense bonus]), SORC (Gladius [Earth], Illagross (Dark [can cause poison], Ravala [Wind], Starlet [Holy])

Aurianna PRST (Heal, Detox, Blast), VICR (Heal, Detox, Blast, Aura), WPST (War Priest) (Heal 4, Blast 4, Aura 4, Boost 2 [offense/defense bonus]), MMNK (Heal, Detox, Blast, Aura)

Made some alterations to the THIEF class - Thief is the basic as scene in SF2. They have weak attacks using daggers but have high speed and good movement. Shadow Dancer is similar but it build up differently. Shadow Dancer gains a boost in offense more over defense. The Thief is already considered a "squishy" character. But the Shadow Dancer is a "Squishy" with more BITE with its stat boost focusing more on improving speed and attack. Ninja changes to sword and their focus is still on offense, but defense tries to catch up. Speed Improves as well, but at a normal rate. Ninja Master is a little more complex. NINM does not gain offense as much anymore, almost coming to a complete stop. But defense and speed go through the roof, sometimes getting more turns than slower characters and enemies. NINM also gets a huge mp gain compared to the mediocre mp build of the Ninja. NINM also can use Katanas, which have higher offense then swords and also can cause random side effects including instant death, poison, blind, and Hdrain (health drain).

Hagane - THIF (uses only small daggers), SWDR (Shadow Dancer) [NINJ (Katon, Rajin), NINM (Ninja Master [can use Katana weapons that are stronger than swords) (Katon, Rajin, Smoke [raises dodge], Kamakazi (causes 2X the remaining health of character to a single enemy at lvl1-2, lvl 3 hits harder and lvl 4 hits multiple enemies. Cannot gain XP but raising is FREE at church!)

Brohm - WARR, GLDR, BRN (can use Swords AND Axes but loose some defense but gain more mobility and offense), WLRD (War Lord [can use Lances, Swords, Axes, Spears, and Bows [[can only get 2 square distance unlike archers who can get a max of 3-4) and gain more defense than BRN but loose movement.[excludes katanas, assault shells, and staves])

We are going with the 4 tier system.

Anyway, I am proud to introduce to you some of the music that has been made over the past month for this game. ^^

Do note that they are on mega upload and just bare with that hideous website. Thanks. ^^ (I spent some good time on them, so I really hope you like them and I could use feedback!)

-Pavane for Princess Aurianna - Not to reveal too much of the story this piece is a processional for one who has passed on. ^^ Sorry, too hard to keep it secret. ^^
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ACV1VRSV

-Castle Town Theme - This is an interesting piece. A fanfare theme with the playful tune of a village outside the walls. So, a little more busy then a small town should be felt in it. ^^
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2D32LHCW

-World Theme - Well, this is pretty obvious. ^^
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AOKUTCK0

- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Tavern - The silly theme when something silly is happening. Obviously. ^^ As serious as a fantasy game is, there should always be some playful music in it. ^^
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1BFYJUZS

"So, you want to see if the carpet matches the drapes eh? Well, only the luckiest of ladies get to find that out." ^^

Old Post September 25, 2008, 09:03:14 pm
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

Re: Shining Game update
Wow, that's really great stuff! I love the name "Shadow Dancer" for a class. Sounds so cool.

I've uploaded your tracks here, so you can use the following links if you don't want to use megaupload. If not, let me know and I'll take them down Smiley

World Theme.mp3
Castle Town Theme.mp3
Pavane for Princess Aurianna.mp3
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Tavern.mp3

Old Post September 25, 2008, 10:03:10 pm
Blahian *

Anything is better than megaupload. It is just the only thing I can usually think of at the time. ^^

"So, you want to see if the carpet matches the drapes eh? Well, only the luckiest of ladies get to find that out." ^^

Old Post September 26, 2008, 12:08:35 pm
Administrator Shining Spammer *

Cool Smiley
I'm not sure if you know this, but there's an agility gain on one of the thief weapons slade uses.  could be useful.

~Elvenfyre

Old Post September 27, 2008, 09:51:58 am
Blahian *

I was considering that very much, but there were some things that made it a little off in my head.

- The Thief class would gain agility per level in the 2-4 range per level (in a sense).
- I was actually considering the power of the knife to be weak, but in return, ups the chances of a critical to around 30% or a little more.
- A debate that has been going is creating, for the first time, a steal skill. The thought of being able to steal an equipped weapon from an enemy instead of it only be dropped if it were unequipped. This theory, in it's own nature, create the loss of a turn for the Thief - Ninja Master class to sacrifice a turn in order to steal a rare weapon or ring that is equipped by an enemy that cannot be attained through basic defeat. The problem that came from this theory is would it be classified as magic with no MP value that takes the place of a magic slot or could it be a passive skill done through physical attack that only offers a percentage that the weapon will be taken. The thievery skill will really offer a much more in depth value to the Thief character in the early stages of the game, where disarming an enemy would turn the tide of battle, especially against bosses if we choose to allow it. Anyway, it is something we are diving more deeply into.

We are also plotting on creature classes (Like Domingo, Guntz, Zylo, Kiwi, etc) that we would like to implement in the game. One thing that was discussed was pulling away from the basic form. Creating creature classes with skills and magics that the other classes do not have access to was a big front of this discussion. An example was creating the Phoenix class that actually has a raise spell that could, during combat, bring a character back from the exhausted state. Anyway, please share any thoughts you might have on this idea and, perhaps, anything you would like to see implemented so my team and I can discuss it. ^^

Old Post September 27, 2008, 11:02:58 pm
Administrator Shining Spammer *

Regarding no MP spells.
Personally I disagree with this use. . . but I think it depends on your definition of MP.

If someone is to use a special skill to steal something, this is kind of like "magic" to the one who is stolen from(considering they are _in_ battle, holding their weapon and then all of a sudden it is gone).  If it is "mana points" rather than "magic points" then it definitely would need an MP cost.

A raise spell is a great idea, although changes battle strategy significantly.  You'll need to think about the balance of such a spell because frankly, it's powerful.  Making it not work during walk-about mode is inconsistent, but then this means you can't set up a "long walk back to here if i go to town so I'll just try the next battle with 2 less players" scenario.

~Elvenfyre

Old Post September 28, 2008, 06:29:22 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

Very impressed by the music I've heard, Maestro! The World Theme wouldn't be out of place in many a paid-for game these days, so my hat is definitely off to you on that one. You've certainly raised the bar for music in a Shining fangame!

I'd be very interested in learning more about how you set about orchestrating these tracks - perhaps we could resurrect the Shining Aid interviews section for such a task? Smiley

Old Post September 29, 2008, 06:57:57 am
Blahian *

As far as the ressurection spell goes it would be a heavy mp costing spell and could, if any, only rez a person once in the mid point of the game and MAYBE twice near the end. The rez spell, in its own, would only give a minute amount of hp to the revived ally (most likely only enough to live, but could be gibbed easily by a weak attack [ end game only about 10 hp]). I do concur with the MP cost for the stealing ability, though it would take a slot away from the NINM skill gauge, but I am thinking it a good idea to drop the Smoke magic.

As far as the software for music goes, I usually write it all in Finale 2008, my piano and chamber musics in Sibelius 4, and use Pro Tools LE AND Gigastudio 3 to remake the tracks using its high quality midi samplers (I specifically used the on board Pro Tools LE sampler to make the music your heard. For my higher quality musics I use the LA Philharmonic Sampler for Gigastudio 3). ^^ Keep in mind the music itself, in Finale 08', overnight could be handed to a live orchestra to play if I decided to use live music. ^^ This eliminates the obnoxious combining and cluster of notation on a standard midi track, only to have segregate it later for orchestral use.

Reviving a forum like that, I would be glad to help with audio questions, music, Sound FX, and Voice recording. ^^ I would also be glad to help any other projects with their music/sound issues. ^^ Have some small music you need orchestrated? I wouldnt mind helping out, or writing music itself, just let me know -- it is my day job anyway. ^^

Thank you Newts, I am glad you enjoyed it. More to come. ^^

Old Post September 29, 2008, 09:46:14 am
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

Ah, a professional musician in our midsts! I've done a soundtrack or two but most of what you said went way above my head, so excuse me if our future interview is full of inane questions! I'll send you a PM later this week with some preliminary questions and things like that Smiley

I wonder if it would also be possible to have a guide to your studio and setup as well: I imagine a room full of 60s sci-fi-looking equipment!

New Post September 29, 2008, 11:28:18 pm
Blahian *

Well hardware-wise, in its own respects, is not very demanding as one may think it to be. The more hardware you have though, the easier the creation process is. For the most part, it is all in the software. I mean, I guess I could post a little bit of how to put a music generation CPU together with a list of applicable software, including needed and recommended hardware in the Shining Aid.

For the most part though, NO, my workstation does not look anything like a 60's sci-fi apparatus. If anything, its just a few small things here and there. But go ahead and put a list together and I would be glad to answer your questions. ^^

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: