The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
nintendos ds   (Read 19369 times)
Old Post May 15, 2004, 05:54:16 am
Shining Star *

nintendos ds
http://gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=T000035

read all of this and look act pictures and give your thoughts, personaly i think its a step in the right direction for nintendo. Nintendo is best known for there hand helds and this is the crem da la crem of all hand helds to date.

Dual Slots
Nintendo DS makes a vast library of Game Boy? Advance games readily available. Developers could find ways to make new connections between GBA games and DS games. The GBA port could be used for new hardware, enormously expanding the functional expandability of the DS.

From what this says possibilities are enormous. Getting new hardwear for a handheld is something only nintendo can pull off =)

img]http://www.hometown.aol.com/drkoolguy620/images/alberto.gif[/img]

Quote from: "Devlyn"
I finally got access to the back-end Smiley

Old Post May 15, 2004, 11:36:06 am
bEn
Shining Light *

nintendos ds
From my point of view the DS has a 50% chance to die like the visual boy (or whatever the 3D monster was called).
Ok it has the advantage of 2 screens whihc might be nice but has severe disadvantages as well - I mean you gotta look at a different screen to see the map in mario cart - this distracts you from the main action. Next to that I doubt that anybody really missed a seperate map in mario cart.
Ok like in FFC there can be useful information for the second screen but I really doubt that companies will put that much money to make good use of the second screen.
And why the hell should anybody use a touchpad for control? Did anybody miss it? I mean the GBA had great handling, the follow up had already worse handling and the new one looks more like a pda than a GBA. I can tell you from experience that you won't like holding it in your hands - it lacks the ergonomics. Next to that how do you want to use the touch pad - you have to remove one hand from the controls and then push on the screen - which won't work well as you only hold it at one side then. When you look at Palms (some kind of PDA) which use a similar touchpad for control then that just works because you carry the palm with one hand. Try it yourself with a dvd or sth and you will see that it is hard not to loose grip.

Well the DS might make it anyway as Nintendo are the company that sold you the GB, gb in funny colors, transparent gb, GBC, GBC in funny colors, transparent GBC,......... and you bought it anyway...

t's not like I really care

Old Post May 18, 2004, 03:57:58 am
Shining Asteroid *

nintendos ds
No, just no.  For some strange reason, I don't like it.  No.  I'm sticking with consoles and my good ol' comp.

Old Post May 18, 2004, 12:38:12 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

nintendos ds
I think the most interesting thing will be how they keep it separate from the GBA series. First of all, the DS can play existing GB and GBA games and has better graphics etc., so it would seem like an upgrade. But then, Nintendo are already working on a GBA3, if you like, so why release two handhelds so close together? I know that the DS is different to the GBA SP etc., and will appeal more to existing gamers, which I suppose will leave the next GBA [too many acronyms Tongue] a more of a casual gamer machine.

As for whether I'll get one, I probably will. Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Mario 64x4, Mario Kart DS - yes. Yes yes yes. Just make it affordable. Please.

Old Post May 19, 2004, 04:57:28 pm
bEn
Shining Light *

nintendos ds
Well it is a Nintendo policy to release one portable after the other.
About the DS I can't see the addtional value to a GBA - as it's main feature is compatibility to the GBA with some additional goody - the second screen.
So probably the question is - will the addtional screen be worth 200 bucks? I guess that's sth for those who bought a second GBA just for playing FF Crystal Chronicals...  Cheesy

Old Post May 22, 2004, 01:19:24 pm
Shining Dude *

nintendos ds
Most of the new features are pointless.

Touch Screen - I see about 3 games using this, 2 by Nintendo and 1 by a 3rd party that sucks... It's going to be as underdeveloped for as the Gamecube/GBA link and the Dreamcast/VMS thing.

Two Screens - Two screens are not better than one, one big screen would be so much better. Although in some games e.g. Mario Kart clones the second screen may be useful to support the map or a Shining Force game with the Tatical Veiw on one screen and the Battle sequences on another.

Sadly I am sure the DS will be killed of either by Nintendo after 2 months or the PSP. The PSP has more power which, sadly, is what the casual gamer will go for. Aswell as the larger, higher resolution screen and being "Sony" , so Playstation zombies will just lap it up.

Damn Sony...

Insert pretentious signiture here.

Old Post May 22, 2004, 03:02:23 pm
bEn
Shining Light *

nintendos ds
Quote from: "Saiyanora"
Aswell as the larger, higher resolution screen and being "Sony" , so Playstation zombies will just lap it up.
Damn Sony...

It's not like Nintendo would be different. In fact Sony at least didn't sell exactly the same hardware a dozen of times - which happend with the GB, GBC and GBA....

Old Post May 22, 2004, 04:14:19 pm
Global Moderator
Shining Spammer *

nintendos ds
If you can't tell the difference between a regular GameBoy, a GameBoy Colour and a GameBoy Advance, then I weep for your eyesight Tongue

I think the DS is going to be more of a 'hardcore' gamers' machine, whereas the GBA and PSP are aimed more towards the casual end of the market. Would casual gamers even be interested in a touch screen and wireless capability? Probably not. Would they be interested in watching films on a machine with two hours of a battery life? Shamefully, they probably would.

As an experimental piece of hardware, it has considerable novelty value, and it does open up a whole world of new possibilities for developers. How many of those possibilities transfer to the player, however, remains to be seen. I'll probably get one anyway Tongue

Old Post May 22, 2004, 04:45:15 pm
bEn
Shining Light *

nintendos ds
I never said that there is no difference between each of the 3 systems - but of each of the systems there were a bunch of releases - a guessed 10 for the GB (including a girl edition...), several for the GBC and finally 2 of the GBA - next to that GB and GBC are DAMN similar - you just can't believe that they needed all those years to develop it....

Old Post May 31, 2004, 05:37:21 am
Shining Dude *

nintendos ds
Quote from: "bEn"
next to that GB and GBC are DAMN similar - you just can't believe that they needed all those years to develop it....

Yep, colour, bigger screen anda liposuction... so similar I thought they were twins  :?

Every company releases new models that are not true upgrades. They're done usually to cut down on costs to lower prices (Mega Drive 2 and PSone), and sometimes, like the GBA SP, to pull in a few new punters or remove a few niggles (that damn dark screen).

PSP's battery life is only 2 hours when veiwing movies, games it's more like 7, but still I am soo sure m Game Gear did better   :shock:

Insert pretentious signiture here.

Old Post May 31, 2004, 06:36:56 pm
bEn
Shining Light *

nintendos ds
Quote from: "Saiyanora"

Yep, colour, bigger screen anda liposuction... so similar I thought they were twins  :?

Yeah and they just needed years to develop that while the atari Lynx had it all the time... yeah the GBC is a real masterpiece of development..........

I admit that most companies sell different versions of their hardware over the time (including different packs and stuff)  that but Nintendo exaggerated it with the GB - they even wanted to sell a new color as a revolution......

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: