[ Login | Register ]

The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Legends of Salamanca - My new shining inspired game   (Read 21157 times)
Old Post August 05, 2022, 01:22:30 pm
Max
Blahian *

Legends of Salamanca - My new shining inspired game
Great site by the way, I love shining force its one of my all time favourite games. I've always wanted to make my own shining force style game... finaly now I am!

Its in the very early prototype stage. I thought I would create a game that people could play in their browser without downloading anything, that might increase the likelihood that people give it a go! I am using the HTML 5 Canvas element so its all in Javascript. The source is actually in Typescript but then its transpiled into a Javscript bundle.

I wanted the game mechanics to be instantly recognisable as a homage to Shining Force 1 and 2, but I want to put my own elements into it as well - so there might be something a bit different comming.

I am just using free assets I found on itch and elsewhere at the moment, but I may want to pair up with an artist at somepoint if I see anyone's artwork that I think would be good for the game!

I also have an idea for a story for the RPG which I'm keeping secret at the moment!

Please bare in mind this is a very early prototype, but what I have so far is available to try on itch at https://salamanca.itch.io/legends-of-salamanca

I look forward to updating with further updates on the game and also to getting some comments and feedback.

I have 2 directions for where this game can go, I would like to have a 2 player over the internet mode, and also a story mode where you play on your own.

Look forwards to sharing and getting involved in this community

So far I have implemented

movement
attack
very simple items usage implementation
different attack ranges

Whats on the agenda

ability to use magic
mechanism for leveling up and gaining experience

at some point I'm really going to need some better animations and graphics!!!

Attachments

* 2022-08-05_12h19_43-min.png (49.41 KB, 383x377 - viewed 713 times.)

Old Post August 10, 2022, 01:54:28 pm
Max
Blahian *

Re: Legends of Salamanca - My new shining inspired game
version 0.1.1 - I've decided to  start versioning!

Implemented different attack ranges

sword like : can attack above, below and to the side
arrow like : can attack 2 spaces ahead, but no directly adjacent
spear like : can attack with a range of 1 or 2 spaces
I've also implemented a cursor to select multiple targets akin to aura or blaze 2 from Shining force

I've implemented a target eligibility criteria, so for instance a weapon, item or magic spell may be used on 'own team', 'other team' or 'any'

I have also implemented a rudimentary error message for if you try and use a weapon,item or spell and there's no eligible targets in range

Attachments

* 2022-08-10_13h47_32.png (9.92 KB, 380x380 - viewed 698 times.)

Old Post August 10, 2022, 02:45:54 pm
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

Nice screenshots - this looks like it's coming along well and it definitely has a Shining Force feel to it!

Am I okay to post about this project on the homepage?

Old Post August 10, 2022, 08:26:39 pm
Max
Blahian *

Thanks Ty!

Hopefully I can keep the pace of development up at this speed!

Wow that would be awesome if you could post about it on the homepage! Cheesy

Old Post August 20, 2022, 11:05:38 pm
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

Old Post August 22, 2022, 09:01:50 am
Max
Blahian *

Thanks Tyler!

Feel very privileged to have my game on your home page  Smiley

I'm going to work on enemy AI now, I expect that to take a some time, so I'm going to do it incrementally in stages. I'm sure it can get very complicated very quickly as I tried to think about the algorithm of how an experienced human might play and there are lots of considerations Smiley

I also might try to make the player movement a bit less janky - I believe at the moment if you push an arrow key before you lift up the previous arrow key there's a bit of a delay in movement (or perhaps this is all in my head :/) Or maybe I might polish things like this up later! Decisions, decisions.

Another thing I might do at some point is use the PhaserJS framework, rather than no framework - at the moment I have written my own code to do everything including the animations from sprite sheets Cheesy which seems a little nuts considering there are libraries that do that, When I require more complex features from my animations, I may have wished I used a library - but perhaps I'm too far into it now Cheesy

I have some changes in my local copy of the game which Ill publish soon, this includes some small bug fixes like the menu not opening when you're ontop of somebody and attacking when there are no targets crashing the game.

Old Post August 28, 2022, 03:34:44 pm
Max
Blahian *

No updates for a while, but I assure I have been busy,

I am currently working on the AI for the enemy during the battles.

I imagine the code could get complex very quickly if I'm not careful, so my current plan is to use the chain of responsibility design pattern, to pass a context through a series of handlers which will do all the decision making, and then we will have the option to exit early if a handler decides there's no reason to call the next one, as the enemy knows what they're doing, then it can stop further decision making.

I'm going to start off by looking a proximity to the other team, as that will be used in decision making,
I.E. if the current player is tank with full HP they are likely to want to charge in, but if they are a  support unit with 10% HP remaining, they're going to want to run away and heal!

I look forward to having a new release out in the next few weeks, but it also makes sense to have configurable monster positions per map included in the next release, as in testing the AI works properly, it would make sense the monsters are in some different positions, rather than 2 lines of people charging right at each other!

Attachments

* 2022-08-28_15h37_48.png (16.88 KB, 520x378 - viewed 691 times.)

Old Post August 30, 2022, 08:58:17 am
Max
Blahian *

I'm at the point know where I need better maps in order to progress the game. So I have decided to work on this before I go any further with the AI. I feel having maps which will represent a more realistic scenario will lead to a better designed AI.

I found this absolutely fantastic piece of software called Tiled, Which lets you draw a tilemap, create templates for objects and then replicate those objects. You can than export the data for your map in XML, JSON and as images.

I have created templates for some monsters which has allowed me to place monsters over the map, you can even assign a class to your template, so I have created a class for my monsters with what stats they should have.

The next stage will be to adapt my game to be able to read in the format of json that tiled creates. I plan to export most of the map as a single image which will then be rendered on my game, The monsters won't be included, but the data for where they are positioned will be in the json file, so my game can read that in to position them itself. But its very useful to see visually where they are going to go when creating the map.

Here are a few screen shots of my first map in action, you might recognise the layout from shining force 1. I think its one of the first battles with zombies in where you go to that town where the townsfolk all act strange and then start closing in on you and turn into undead monsters. I think I first played this battle when I was 7 or 8 and it used to creep the hell out of me!

Attachments

* 1974.png (56.82 KB, 761x754 - viewed 706 times.)

Old Post September 01, 2022, 06:31:10 pm
Max
Blahian *

I have integrated my maps from Tiled into my gaming engine, and setup a youtube chanel for the game where I will post video updates Cheesy

Youtube video available here Smiley https://youtu.be/mrj7StZxyDQ

Release coming to itch very soon, just want to iron out a few niggles first

Old Post September 05, 2022, 04:30:07 pm
Max
Blahian *

just released the version seen in the youtube video to itch.io  Grin

Old Post September 07, 2022, 06:09:32 pm
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

These are some great updates! Tiled is a really good map editor and I use it for my projects - I like that I can export data from Tiled in JSON and then convert this data to whatever format I need.

It's been a while since I last tried PhaserJS but I remember it being really good for sprite-based games. Might be worth giving it a try.

Can't wait to see more updates!

Old Post September 07, 2022, 07:34:03 pm
Max
Blahian *

Thanks a lot Ty! I'm so happy that you're expressing an interest in this game and even helping me to create interest in it, despite it being in very early development, this is very good motivation for me!

Thanks once again!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: