[ Login | Register ]

The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
A quick question about playablilty.   (Read 11661 times)
Old Post September 19, 2007, 07:36:37 pm
Blahian *

A quick question about playablilty.
Ok, so as "The New Coven" is being developed, I've come across a 'problem'. I've decided to include one huge main island called "ShiningRock". Players can accept quests, battle friends, recruit members, ect.

There are two main aspects to the game:

-PVP: Players can find a map they would like to battle on and... battle.

-PVE: Players follow a large storyline when they feel like it. This opens up new areas to explore and aids the character with additional items, spells, ect.

My problem is, since the online battle is turnbased, I'm probably not going to be able to have random battles every couple steps. It could take years for a person to get from town to town/dungeon. So how do I correct this. A battle every 5 or 6 maps?

Basicly, players need to be able to level up when they want but not get frustrated with 10 minute battles every few steps they take. Any ideas? Sorry if this isn't as clear as I tried to make it, I'm at work and trying to deal with 10 different things.

Old Post September 19, 2007, 08:58:28 pm
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

Re: A quick question about playablilty.
Perhaps the best way to do it is to have something line "battle zones". This would mean players would choose to do battle at certain points, or would be alerted that to progress they would need to battle. Hopefully that makes some sense.

I'd steer clear of any kind of random attack simply because they could be quite annoying.

Old Post September 21, 2007, 02:06:11 am
Blahian *

Thanks for the reply,

That gave me an idea. What do you think of this?

-Entering dungeons that have to do with the storyline would be obligatory battles. (No way to avoid them)
-Outside of dungeons, monsters roam the maps. Players can choose to avoid these monsters or attack them, entering battle mode.
-Some maps would have aggressive monsters. Players would be warned before entering aggressive areas. Aggressive monsters, once they have spotted a character will chase them, trying to get them into battle.

I think this is the overall best approach, but if someone disagrees, I would love to hear about it.

P.S. Beside monsters battles, players are able to battle each other on whichever map they choose. All full maps are battle compatible.

Old Post September 24, 2007, 10:38:10 am
Ty
Administrator
Shining Sideburns *

That sounds like the best way of solving things. You still get the storyline and structure of a traditional SF game, but you add in some battle choice too. Sounds good to me Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: