[ Login | Register ]

The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Update - Shining Immortal   (Read 13172 times)
Old Post October 31, 2008, 03:22:34 am
Blahian *

Update - Shining Immortal
Ok, still bashing out characters to fill in the blanks and the algorythem (sp?) for the leveling system is not done yet either, so we are slowly starting to fall behind schedule since my programmer is taking computer graphics courses and is doing midterms and such. I am developing some new music and sound effects for the game while I am doing other work to keep my head from blowing up from an overload of spending too much time developing things. So far though the characters are nearly completed on paper, in a sense, and I will sit down with the concept artist and work on some concept ideas throughout the month of November and share them as soon as I have some decent results. ^^

One block came up that needed some ideas and it was how many characters is too few or too many as you get the maximum amount of characters in the game. Shining Force 1 and 2 had a vast amount of characters but 3 and the gaiden/CD games were smaller amounts. The inquisition is whether or not so many characters is a must or should it be more of a "Give you options on a mage but the mages are vastly different" ordeal. I could use some help here from experienced SF fans since the team only just played them.

We are thinking of heading for a 2d world map and town configuration and a 3d battle environment as far as graphics go.

"So, you want to see if the carpet matches the drapes eh? Well, only the luckiest of ladies get to find that out." ^^

Old Post October 31, 2008, 04:44:44 am
Administrator Shining Spammer *

Re: Update - Shining Immortal
Personally I'd think the number you can have in your team x 2 would be enough.  (so, 24?)
That would be by the end of the game of course.
5 starter, to 10 fairly quickly, then +1 spread out over the remainder of the game, not getting anyone new to plot in the last 5 battles.

~Elvenfyre

Old Post November 01, 2008, 08:31:11 am
Blahian *

I was considering that but implicating 24 people on a constant basis, so as no character seems to just fade out from the plot, is something not seen done in many RPGs because of how hard it would be to implement them all. But, as another thought just now rose, perhaps having two forces that traverse through the game and then by endgame you can choose between all the characters you have collected. But, again, it may seem a bit overkill at the same time. Since this is our studios first time at making a tRPG I would like to try and keep it as simplistic as possible the first run through, but if we are modestly successful, then obviously try to implement a massive force in such a manner (Maybe even, for the final battle, make it so you can use all the characters on the force at the same time for an epic confrontation).

Anyway, I will consider a 24 member cast. I was also thinking of doing the initial 12 and any character that is not a specialty class may have a second or third variational character of their class. So, by the time the game is reaching the end, you would have had 2-3 mages to choose from, 3 priests/monks, 2-3 warriors, 2-3 knights, and then have the specialty classes like 1 Ninja, 1 Magic Monster, 1 Samurai (still considering), 3 flying units (perhaps a Pegasus Knight, Dragon, Birdman, Mecha). But that will be something to pound out real soon. I guess it will just depend on if the classes will fit.

"So, you want to see if the carpet matches the drapes eh? Well, only the luckiest of ladies get to find that out." ^^

Old Post November 02, 2008, 11:25:10 am
Blahian *

It's more work to include more characters in your game as you will have to draw all of them. But it will give the player more options. You may either try to use all the characters equally, training each of them to the maximum, or choose the characters you want to use and abandon the others. It just shouldn't be like this that only one possible party is good and the other characters are obsolete - then it wouldn't make sense. There should be several possibilities to have a good party.

Some players will prefer a party with many magicians, others will have a party with many knights and warriors. It may be that somebody prefers not to use any bowmen, for example.

Old Post November 03, 2008, 12:17:44 am
Administrator Shining Spammer *

So, you're saying something like...

1 hero.
3 mages
3 healers
3 archers
3 knights
3 warriors
3 flying
3 "other"
=22

So you're probably safe somewhere in the 19-26 range.

~Elvenfyre

New Post November 03, 2008, 04:16:03 am
Blahian *

Good point, both of you. Again, it is something that will be heavily looked into since it has put us as a frozen point to start testing out party configurations and such. Right now, and throughout the week, we will be testing out many combinations of parties from the beginning of the game to, per say, where other characters would join in later. It should go smoothly after we simulate the different party configurations but hopefully it will be easier done than said. ^^

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: