[ Login | Register ]

The Shining Source

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
"I'll join you!...For no reason!!"   (Read 60228 times)
Old Post May 18, 2004, 04:07:44 am
Shining Asteroid *

"I'll join you!...For no reason!!"
Well, you can hate nouns, so I hate Satan.  "Score one fer..." me!  Tongue

New Post June 09, 2004, 09:11:43 pm
Shining Light *

Yes, I hate many nouns, a few adjectives, like 'slightly', I'm cool with the adverbs..prepositions can burn in hell, even though I just used one right there.  Umm...yea.

ttp://www.freewebs.com/bloodshot8904/

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1713081

New Post February 04, 2005, 08:14:25 pm
Blahian *

Gong - You talk to him while hes cutting wood...

The Dwarf in the bar (forgot name) - You talk to him while hes drinking beer.... he desides hes had enough and you look good enough to follow...

Lyle - He just... shows up...

Lowie - He don't want to be left behind (Its almost as good as randomness)

All from SF1... I havn't really played any of the others... at least... not fully thru....

Coming at you, with a marshmellow warped mind!

New Post February 05, 2005, 12:21:51 am
Shining Light *

*Gets blown away by nostalgia trip*

ttp://www.freewebs.com/bloodshot8904/

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1713081

New Post February 16, 2005, 04:12:46 am
Administrator Shining Spammer *

I don't really agree with the theme of the topic here at all.

There are reasons for each person joining.

Taking into account the world the characters live in, nearly every single person has a very good reason to join the force.  Put yourself in their shoes.  

One very un-random person (Gort, the old guy in the bar) who you think is random.. it is NOT random, when you retire, to find out that life is really pretty boring compared to your life at work (killing people, in his case) - and then some new captain comes from the king looking for recruits for a mission to the neighbouring city - gort jumps at the chance.

That's pretty much the thing.. I mean look around the villages and towns - there are farmers and housewives, fishermen, old men, traders, soldiers - and of course there is some times the odd person who can swing a sword and wants some adventure - AND then along comes this cool group of adventurers who seem to be able to handle themselves pretty well (and often the character has been in a place the force has battled BEFORE the join) and they agree with the cause of finding the source of all these monsters who have been laying waste to their world.

As I said, put yourself in their shoes.  May.. now may.. she has been trained by dad to kill monsters, and her dad gets killed by monsters.  I mean why wouldn't she want to join a group which is very probably going to run into monsters?  

I first played SF1 when I was about 10 years old, and at that point it all just made sense - in these respects.  

I don't know whether everyone elses sense of narrative purpose is off, or what.  
Maybe by way of a childs imagination I made a reason up myself in my own head for people to join.  
It still does make sense to me now though.

So yeah.  People join cos
A) life is boring and they wanna kill monsters,
B) they wanna defend their homeland,
C) their master/tutors tell them it is for the greater good,
D) something bad has happened to them,
E) abstract reason outlined in plot.

One abstract is Kiwi, who you save from a self-destructing city(and you treat nicely).
I'd say that gives him a reason to go/stay with you, he owes you his life.

[shrugs]
These are obvious in most cases because of the way the characters speak, the manner in which they appear, and what they say in headquaters.

~Elvenfyre

New Post February 23, 2005, 09:42:07 am

Oh yeah, and the group _is_ called the shining force from time to time.

First example is the very arthur looking sprite in the castle before you leave for your first battle.  He is frustrated and says something like "I should have been the one to lead the shining force!"

There are other times too.

~Elvenfyre

New Post February 23, 2005, 03:49:49 pm
Shining Asteroid *

Well you have to remember the plot of this story is very shaky in some respects too.  Maybe some of the characters have reasons, I admit, but after you get them they dont have any influence anymore, and thusly they just seem to be a giant group of people with no personalities and no real reason for being there.

Because characters don't say anything much after they join, and the main character doesnt really react to anything to begin with, the characters that join just seem flat.  They don't seem to have a meaning, and if they do, its in an underlying story that isn't mentioned in the game.

As for being called the Shining Force, I was talking about SHF2(they are called the Shining Force usually by enemies, but there are a few people who randomly blurt it out).  But since you bring up SHF1, you can easily see that the plot is flawed right from that knight you mentioned at the start.  No one dubbed them 'Shining Force', and who would make up rumors about them being called so before hand?

New Post February 24, 2005, 12:26:23 am

My narritivium figures that the only way this is possible is for the king to have dubbed the small secret force which is to slip out of the city, the shining force.
The other thing of course, it never shows you what YOU say to the person, you have to make that up in your own mind.  

You're right about the characters getting flatter once they join.
The focus is off them.  Generally their influence is gone once they join, because of what made them join and that you're leaving the area..  
To have a bunch of Peters following you around for a particular time could be frustrating hehe.  
At the end a few of them come back into their own a little - but you are right - it would be kinda cool to see xcharacter pop out and threaten an unhelpful king/mayor with a secret that they know about them, or Anri call in her mage buddies for a particular battle etc.

~Elvenfyre

New Post February 24, 2005, 03:49:29 pm
Shining Asteroid *

Thats the major flaw in most of the games.  The storyline is pretty simple, and the characters have no personality.  Even the main character doesn't say anything...but oh well.  That's what fanfiction/fangames are for.  My fic has been going for more than a year and its getting slightly harder since I have to try my best to give each of the 15+ characters in the story so far a personality.

But back on topic.  It would have been one of the games highlights to have all the characters say more than just two lines in the entire game.  Multiple lines by differant characters from time to time would at least let you know how every character acts, and it would make the story more enjoyable.  Given RotDD tried to give all the characters backgrounds and personalities, I still don't think they did well enough since they messed up most of the games other great features.

New Post February 25, 2005, 04:03:00 pm
Shining Dude *

Insert pretentious signiture here.

New Post June 01, 2006, 09:24:20 am
Blahian *

Max is hot?

Also, I like posting in really old threads. Cheesy

Jibe

Shining Song Project Page.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print